Reading and Phonics
Phonics and Early Reading Fred Time (Read Write Inc.)
We follow the Ruth Miskin (Read Write Inc.) programme. Children are assessed and then grouped homogenously according to reading ability. This is throughout the school.
Children are taught:
- To read and spell three sets of sounds
- To read phonetically decodable books
- Work on comprehension skills
- To always speak in sentences and to use expression when reading texts
- Writing activities linked to the book
We also follow the Ruth Miskin /Fresh Start programme in upper KS2 for some children.
This reinforces the three sets of sounds and helps to improve reading and writing skills.
The ability to read well is the key to learning across the curriculum so at Doxey it is given a high priority. From Year 2 to Year 6 children have two reading sessions every day:
- Teaching sessions (30-45 minutes). Children are taught comprehension skills through class teaching or guided reading. Bloom's Taxonomy is used to help us set follow up sessions that will extend the children's thinking.
- Indepenent reading sessions (30 minutes daily).
The class teacher keeps a close record of the progress and achievement made by each pupil.
Every child takes home a reading book and they are actively encouraged to read this at home with parental support. The school library is also available for children to borrow books from.